Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Taking a little break....

With work and commissions being so busy at the moment, I've been worried that this wonderful hobby of mine may turn into a chore if I didn't start to take time occasionally to do the more fun, relaxing parts of the crafts. So I decided to refresh my passion for it all, to take part in a challenge. For no other reason than to spend an evening for myself creating whatever I liked :-)

One challenge I had spotted online was one over at the 13arts blog. The designers over there are highly inspirational, and the products in their shop are right down my street :-)
So the challenge that caught my eye was one whereby I needed to use this picture as inspiration....

That butterfly looks beautiful. Although as I started creating, I was taking inspiration from more and more of the different images. The colours were first on my list...I just love blues and browns together. Then there was the spots on the peacock image, the lines from the zebra...
 
 
I really enjoyed putting it all together. I knew I wanted to use the word 'symmetry' twice, one reflected of another, but it took quite a while to work out the positioning of such a long word, with rather large chipboard letters, and of course, I needed to paint and distress the reverse of some of these to make them exact reflections.

 
The base pages were texturized with book page pieces and lace. I coloured them first with spray mists, then texture pasted some bubbles and added more sprays. There's Gesso, Acrylic paint, stamping and washi tapes thrown in there too :-)
The writing reads 'Forget Symmetry and Relax' which is something I need to bear in mind much more often!
 
 
 So that's my first Art Journal page and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Even my little boy was intrigued as to what I was going to do next! I have already decorated my journal cover, and I cant wait to show you that in another post :-)

5 comments:

hotpotato said...

very clever Lou, Really enjoyed workshop yesterday.

Lizzyc said...

This does look amazing, I love the mirrored effect.. brilliant creating, and I hope you get to just enjoy playing and creating more just for you!

Matilde said...

WOW! It looks fantastic! Thank you for playing along with 13 arts :)

Rydia said...

WOW !! Fantastic and amazing work!
Thank you for playing with 13@rts :)

Bellaidea said...

I am so happy you liked my Inspirational photo! I love your project, well done, thank you for joining 13 arts challenge this month, I hope you will join us also in November :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment...it really is appreciated!